Summer shed work

I may be retired but I still do stuff – sometimes.  In the last month I have re-roofed the shed on the allotment.  Brother John and I built it some years ago from wall, window and door sections of a pre-cast concrete garage that was available in bits, but had to make a roof from plywood and roofing felt – which did not wear as well.  For a year or so its been leaking a bit.  Action was needed.  B&Q provided the bitumen and fibre corrugated sheets, skips provided the extra timber needed (Jackie tells me that ‘dumpster diving’ is actually illegal – but I just don’t care who knows).

Here’s the result

A little more work still needed, but at least it will keep the rain out now.

A little more work still needed, but at least it will keep the rain out now.

Another view - I'm SO proud.

Another view – I’m SO proud.

One of the sheds at home also developed a leak, but the roof is more a complex shape, and finished in a very good quality torchable felt ( it is designed to have been heated by a roaring gas flame as it is unrolled onto a roof, so that it sticks, but I just nailed off-cuts from yet another skip raid).  But cats had managed to tear a section off the roof, which I replaced with cheaper stuff (I had to buy it).  Once again it was damaged, so I repaired some bits with sticky black bitumen gloop (thick and applied with small trowel), and one section with a thin sheet of aluminium (actually used off-set lithopress masters bought from the local scrap-metal merchant).  having repaired the roof it seemed celebratory to clean down the walls and give them a coat of weatherproofing water-based waxy coloured stuff.  And here is the result – notice that the hardboard sheeting is still good (if a little bowed) after over twenty years exposure to the weather).

Built as a quiet retreat down at the end of the garden, it is stuffed with gardening gear and things which 'might be useful one day'

Built as a quiet retreat down at the end of the garden, it is stuffed with gardening gear and things which ‘might be useful one day’

The inspiration for this shed were the 4 corner posts given to me as firewood, but actually pine or spruce and so too sparky for use on an open fire.  They became the basis of a shed.  At that time (early 90s) I was travelling around Britain a lot promoting teaching materials I’d written, and had just spent a night a dormer bedroom in Cambridge.  I liked the dormer window and decided to put one in the pyramidal roof of the part-built shed.  It also gave me an excuse to whittle a finial – just visible, try clicking to enlarge it.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Brighton, Round Hill and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s